Campus Events is currently accepting requests for commercial filming and photography.
Please note that due to operating procedures and policies in place for COVID-19, a minimum of 15 business days processing time is required.
For more information about services that support filming on campus, including production parking please contact email@example.com.
The Campus Events Team
Filming on Campus
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, DOWNTOWN CAMPUS
All internal and external filming and photography requests for properties, buildings (interiors and exteriors) and infrastructure at the University of Toronto St. George campus require assessment and approval from the Campus Events Department.
Filming and photography requests will only be considered for approval if they do not interfere with or disrupt the regular operation of the institution including academic activities, research or events. Please use our form to submit your request and someone from our team will be in touch.
To provide comprehensive guidelines and services so that the University of Toronto St. George Campus buildings and grounds can be used by external organizations and internal stakeholders for filming and photography activities without disruption or cost to the University.
- To provide an expert service which is knowledgeable of the complex requirements of film and photography locations.
- To minimize disruption of normal University activities.
- To foster working relationships with Ontario’s film industry partners.
- To provide and control access to University interiors and exteriors for filming/photography requests under this guideline.
- To recover all costs related to filming activities and provide financial compensation, where required, to occupants of buildings where interior filming is undertaken.
- To preserve the institutional reputation and image of the University.
- This guideline will not apply to news and public affairs coverage of University events, activities and personalities. This coverage will be approved and arranged by the University’s Department of Media Relations. When news and public affairs coverage includes documentary filming, this guideline will apply, including fees; and assistance will be provided by the Film Liaison.
- All other requests to use University buildings, grounds and facilities for the purposes of filming and photography will be handled by the Film Liaison.
- The Film Liaison will coordinate access to all areas on the St. George campus, except for the federated and affiliated colleges:
- Knox College
- University of St. Michael’s College
- Trinity College
- Victoria University
- Regis College
- Due to its status as a memorial, filming and photography at or within Soldiers’ Tower is prohibited.
- No film location request will be approved which seriously disrupts the normal activities of the University.
- For interior locations, the Film Liaison must secure approval from the Administrative Officer(s) and/or appropriate designate, including property managers, of the division(s) occupying the space requested.
- No major set construction or alteration of buildings will be permitted. Any set decoration requests must be clearly specified in writing and approved prior to commencement of work. All areas impacted/occupied in connection with the filming must be returned to their normal condition and the satisfaction of the University.
- A program script will be submitted prior to the commencement of filming so that the Film Liaison can ascertain that such filming will not damage the reputation or image of the University.
- No weapons, ammunition or fireworks (authentic or replica) are permitted on University property.
- For productions that do not involve University events and activities, every effort should be made to maintain the anonymity of the University, including promotion and credits. The University, however, may require that it be identified on a case-by-case basis.
- Whenever filming is approved under this guideline, a contractual agreement will be entered into between the University and the requesting Production Company and/or entity.
- Requests for filming must normally be made at least two weeks in advance and in no case will be accepted fewer than ten business days in advance.
- Notwithstanding the terms and conditions of this guideline, the Film Liaison has the right to refuse any request for filming on the premises of the University.
Fees and Other Charges
Fees and guidelines listed here are subject to confirmation with Campus Events:
- Location Fee of $4,000 per day will be charged to any production agency/entity using University locations for the purposes of filming including, but not limited to:
- Feature films, television shows and general entertainment programs.
- Commercials, short films and internet-based content.
- Training videos and public service announcements.
- Documentary films.
- Student requests that are not related to current University of Toronto coursework.
- A Location Fee of $1,500 per day will be charged to any production agency/entity using University Locations for the purposes of photography including, but not limited to:
- Commercial advertising and merchandising of products, goods and services.
- Content for brochures, sales tools, calendars and catalogs
- Professional development pieces (headshots, portfolio materials).
- The Location Fee may be reviewed and adjusted for educational materials related to the University’s research and/or external partnerships. Such review and adjustments are at the discretion of the Film Liaison.
- A minimum Survey and Clearance Fee of $100 will be charged to all users of the Film Liaison Service as soon as it is apparent to the Film Liaison Service that a University location may be suitable for their needs. Assessing such a fee, payable in advance, does not imply that final permission will be granted.
- For interior locations, up to one-third of the Location Fee received will, where appropriate, be distributed amongst those divisions occupying the space being used.
- Where rental charges normally exist for certain University rooms (e.g. Convocation Hall, Innis Town Hall, various classrooms), that charge will be applied in addition to the Location Fee.
- The cost of any additional services provided by the University, including security, parking, trades and caretaking, will be charged in addition to the Location Fee. Because of existing union contracts, security and other applicable trades must be provided by the University. Decisions as to which of these services are required for any film location will be decided by the University in accordance with general policy and procedures.
- The Survey and Clearance Fee will be payable to the University prior to location surveys and coordinating arrangements. The Location Fee will be payable prior to the commencement of filming. All other charges will be payable upon completion of filming.
- Production agencies filming at the University must agree to hold the University harmless of any liability and loss which the University may suffer or incur by reason of any injury to any person or damage to any property caused by the Producer or any of its employees or equipment, or any other persons introduced to the premises by reason of such filming. Evidence must be provided of liability insurance coverage in the amount of at least $5,000,000.00 and showing The Governing Council of the University of Toronto as an additional insured, and a bond may be required according to the procedures of the Academic and Campus Events whenever major damage might be done to University property.
- All arrangements, including the payment of Location Fees, evidence of insurance, and the execution of agreements or posting of bonds when required, must be completed at least 72 hours prior to the commencement of filming.
- In the event of cancellation after execution of the contractual agreement, the Location Fee will be payable in full, as well as any services/fees incurred by the University. Rescheduling of dates will be considered a new request.
- Production agencies filming at the University which need auxiliary sources of power must use silenced generators and suspend or cover all cables at their own expense.